We have moved!
Come travel with us at OpenWideTheWorld.com

Monday, February 11, 2013

Welcome! Bienvenue! Willkommen! ¡Bienvenidos!

Most of us love terra firma. I get it. It's comfortable. Predictable. Easy. Life can be tough enough without adding intercontinental itineraries, confusing signs, incomprehensible languages, questionable alimentation. I've had those moments from time to time, moments when the familiar and routine are just about all I can handle. Aaahhh, the peace of home.

Yes, I love comfort, routine, ease, and the familiar as much as anybody. And yet, since childhood the world at large has called out to me. Perhaps it was the stories my father would tell of his years in Africa. Or the hours spent with my sister listening to French and Swahili records on our phonograph. (You know what a phonograph is, right?) Or maybe it was the spark I would see in my parents' eyes at the tales the foreign missionaries would bring home. Probably a combination of many elements that seemed to bring the world right into our living room. And that gave me a feeling of comfort with what might otherwise seem like a great vast unknown. I grew up feeling like the whole world was my home.

It is a liberating and exciting feeling, to feel at home in the world, as if the whole wide world is waiting for you to to return to it. My husband and I are relishing the opportunity to share this wide-world spirit with our 5-year old, through books, music, art, languages, and travel. Join us on the journey as we live out:

"Bringing the World Home; Feeling at Home in the World." 

Open Wide the World!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog...love the graphics. I am looking forward to more! Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouraging words! I look forward to what lies ahead, too! Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete